Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Lighthouse at the end of the road

Photo: Johann Ong, Colors of Subic
Lighthouse Marina
My moolah wasn't enough to get me a room at this hotel. Room rates start at around P6,000 or about US$148 per night, which they claim is "adequately for 2 adults and/ or 2 adults and 2 kids." Their words, not mine.

So, I decided to check out the surroundings, after all, its free.

Their pool, with a jacuzzi, is a bit small. Remember the magic number: US$148/room/night. But, lest we forget, the Lighthouse can't match the adjacent body of water --- Subic Bay.

No sense in writing about something without burning my moolah, so I asked my friend, Ansbert Joaquin of the Philippine Daily Inquirer, to have lunch at the Sands Restaurant.

It was chicken for him, beef for me. It was pretty good. And was worth it -- taste-wise and gram-wise. Our bill for one sitting? Around P900 pesos, including drinks and a pack of Marlboro Light Gold. Plus, the service was friendly and the place was cozy enough.

So that ended my spending for the rest of the day.

Don't get me wrong, if I had a place with a view like they have of Subic Bay, I would charge 2 dollars more than what they are charging for a room.

Last December, Dante Pollescas of Subic Enerzone (the Freeport's power distributor) sponsored a get together with Subic-based media at the 720 Bar. The food was great, the ambiance was terrific. It was really a place that an executive of a power firm would enjoy, especially at night. South Korean Hanjin shipbuilding facility's bright light illuminates the dark expanse of the bay.


For the adverturer, that's enough reason. If you think not, how about a "spot the Lighthouse Marina contest?" Check out this link.

So how do I size up the Lighthouse hotel?

Rolex.

Yacht.

US$148/room/night.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wordpress Theme | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | Best Buy Printable Coupons